Great post – I might create some rules of my own
Robert Heinlein famously had six rules for writing. I used to have them framed in my office, but after a conversation with my nephew, I realized I now have my own rules. I have ten.
Rules for Writing
• Fingers-on-keyboard is the only way writing happens.
• Inspiration is nice. A high daily word count is nicer.
• Writing is challenging, not hard. Digging ditches is hard.
• Don’t start revisions until the first draft is finished.
• Laziness is the biggest hurdle.
• Get feedback. Everyone needs help.
• Revisions are not as fun as first drafts. Suck it up.
• Marketing is part of it. Stop whining.
• Start the next story.